Garage Sale Zen

What a strange experience, having a garage sale for the first time ever. A wide range of experiences, actually.


The hectic preparation phase covered the entire past week. I posted as many individual items as possible on Craig’s List, each complete with photos and a write-up — and a mention of the imminent garage sale. Then there was the aggregated garage-sale listing that I tried to keep up-to-date. The bonus was moving a lot of items prior to the weekend; the negatives were dealing with the innumerable spam emails I received and, even more wasteful, the time required to simply post each listing.

Then came the insanity of the last-minute preparations. That started at suppertime last night, as I realized I wouldn’t have enough time prior to the 9am opening to get everything even into the garage, let alone arranged and priced. That delightful part of the process — the arranging and pricing — started at 6am today and didn’t let up at all before the early birds arrived (never mind the “no early birds” warning on the Craig’s List post).

Which then segued right into the frenzy of open hours. Oh. My. God. I’d heard about that subculture that loads up the car and goes garage sale-ing and yard sale-ing, but this was like nothing I’d ever seen before. I really hope some sociologist (and psychologist) has studied this phenomenon; it is rife with fascinating people that you normally only hear about in “can you believe it?” stories on the interwebs. There’s the guy who doesn’t want to buy anything but just wants to chat; the van load of Filipinas who are louder than a Who concert and offer you a dollar for everything despite the as-marked price of ten bucks; the shop-a-holic who buys things he will likely never use in a million years — and the locals who are clearly looking to make their dollar go as far as it can in these tough times.

They came to my garage sale, one and all, and they put a lot of cash in my pocket. And I’m grateful. More importantly, they took a pile of stuff — stuff that owned me more than I owned it — off my hands, making me feel light and free in a way I’ve not felt in some time. Am I sad to part with some of the stuff? Sure. But the memories are still in my head and my heart and my soul, whether or not that climbing gear that I haven’t used in years is still sitting in my garage. And I definitely parted with some things that I will have to replace at some point in my life. But for now, that light-and-free feeling is priceless.

   …and after.

Through it all, too, flocks of geese honked overhead as they made their way to their spring and summer homes farther north. A pair of songbirds did a call-and-response serenade from opposite ends of my cul-de-sac. A chill, light breeze whispered beneath an overcast sky displaying all the signs of the high winds that were forecast for the hillside area overlooking town. And the light of a northern afternoon in spring flooded softly between the budding trees.

Things are good. It’s been a great day. And it makes me love this neighborhood all the more. I’m going to be very sad to leave.

Leave Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *