STRATEGIC DIGITAL CONTENT AND PRINT EDITOR
Content executive with 20+ years of experience building and leading teams, projects and partner relationships to exceed revenue and readership goals across multiple platforms including digital, mobile, social media, email, print, broadcast. Blend of business and technical savvy, able to work across departments to define big-picture vision and roadmap to reach a desired on-brand outcome. Adept at defining business requirements, managing budget and resource oversight. Consistently deliver on-time execution, including in high-growth and start-up environments.
Writing/Editing | Digital Strategy | Brand Strategy | Social Media Strategy | Cross-Platform Strategy
Google Analytics | Omniture | comScore | WordPress | Microsoft Office Suite | SEO | HTML
AP Style | Chicago Manual of Style | News Judgment | Adaptable | Experience with Freelancers
COMMUNICATIONS CONSULTANT | Confidential | Jun 2020 – Present Newburyport, MA
Assisting an independent school in New York State with its communications strategy and implementation in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consulting on specific initiatives and information efforts, in print and online, in response to reopening mandates from New York State. Work performed remotely from Massachusetts.
DIGITAL MANAGER/BROKER | S&J Yachts | Nov 2018 – Present Annapolis, MD
Implemented launch of yacht brokerage’s new WordPress website and social media initiatives. Instituted the use of data analytics to optimize lead generation and target potential customers. Concurrently work as broker, helping sellers and buyers of sail and powerboats.
DIRECTOR OF DIGITAL MEDIA | KGTV–10News.com | Sep 2013 – Mar 2016 San Diego, CA
Directed content and revenue strategic plans for the Scripps Media-owned ABC-TV affiliate. Managed five-person team responsible for the 10News.com website, mobile app and social media initiatives. Site and app generated >10MM views per month. Average page views increased by 36%, total page views 55% and high-revenue video starts 799%.
- Worked with digital sales manager to generate digital-specific revenue opportunities
- Utilized data-analytics tools (including Google Analytics, Omniture, comScore and others) to inform tactical and strategic decision-making
- Produced a weekly, in-season livestreaming broadcast show covering the San Diego Chargers. Coordinated resources from engineering, news and marketing departments; worked with sales to find sponsors
- Directed Azteca, the station’s Spanish-language site, app and social media initiatives
CONSULTANT/PUBLISHER/EDITOR | Jan 2012 – Jan 2013 Newburyport, MA Annapolis, MD
Remote freelance work while caring for my elderly parents. Developed strategy for content and online-commerce for an online stealth-mode startup backed by a consortium of companies serving the marine industry.
CREW | Polar Bear Charters | May 2011 – Sep 2011
Lone crew assisting captain and mate aboard 72-foot sailboat operating charters in U.K., Norway, Iceland and Greenland
DIRECTOR OF CONTENT | The Active Network (active.com) | Feb 2007 – Apr 2010 San Diego, CA
Managed in-house and remote content teams for the largest network of participatory-sports and fitness websites in the world with more than 1B page views annually.
- Created strategy for use of content and media to generate new revenue streams
- Strategic partner to COO and SVP Media on redesign, relaunch of sites throughout the network to achieve growth objectives
- Led coverage of high-profile events including the Tour de France, Ironman World Championships and the Little League World Series
- Media sections drove $672K and sponsorship packages delivered $1.5M in direct revenue
- Enhanced email newsletter campaign that generated direct incremental revenue and drove 20% of content traffic per month
- Fine-tuned content team’s involvement with nascent social media campaigns whose Facebook and Twitter placements drove an incremental 5.7% of site traffic in 2009
SENIOR EDITOR | Alaska Magazine | May 2004 – Feb 2007 Anchorage, AK
Directed the editorial process for the 185,000-circulation magazine published 10 times annually.
- Developed editorial calendar, including generation of new features and assignment to contributors
- Assessed, selected and managed contributors partnering with art director to ensure content achieved magazine’s vision for editorial features
- Created innovative template for future editorial calendars improving the process while developing publication of new staff-generated departments
- Launched redesign of the magazine’s website
- Researched, wrote and photographed features; created cover lines, headlines, teasers, captions and portfolio essays
DIRECTOR OF CONTENT PARTNERSHIP | Citysearch | Jan 1997 – Mar 2002 Pasadena, CA
- As editor-in-chief in Salt Lake City (1997-1999) helped build out, launch and grow Citysearch.com, one of the first major online media companies. Managed content and partnered with sales teams to generate incremental revenue. Managed an editorial staff of five in the daily creation and publication of content
- Promoted to regional content manager for Southwest Region (1999-2000). Managed content teams in six cities (Austin, Houston, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Phoenix, San Antonio) across four time zones
- Promoted to director of content partnership (2000-2002), directed editorial strategy for network in 27 metropolitan cities across the U.S. as director of relationship with Microsoft’s MSN.com network that increased traffic referrals by 121%
OTHER CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
- Award-winning newspaper reporter and photographer in Utah, Montana
- Supervisor in charge of organization and operation of World Cup ski races in Park City, Utah
- Professional hockey player in Germany, Finland following college graduation
- Freelance writer, editor
Dartmouth College (Hanover, NH), B.A. English
St. Paul’s School (Concord, NH)
ACTIVITIES AND INTERESTS
- Volunteer, Iditarod
- Volunteer, Anchorage Amateur Radio Emergency Services
- Youth hockey coach
- Private pilot with instrument rating
- ASA- and RYA-certified sailor
- PADI-certified scuba diver