STRATEGIC DIGITAL CONTENT AND PRINT EDITOR
Content executive with 20+ years of diverse experience leading and managing teams, projects and partner relationships to exceed revenue and readership goals. Ability to swiftly identify opportunities and deliver solutions and services that provide next-generation solutions on multiple platforms including websites, mobile devices and social media, utilizing a range of analytics tools including Omniture, Google Analytics, comScore and others. Uniquely qualified, multi-industry blend of business and technical savvy, able to partner with business leaders to define big-picture vision and roadmap to reach a desired outcome to further business objectives. Proven track record of managing development and ongoing support of complex solutions to enable targeted, omni-channel (digital, broadcast, print) content and editorial-initiatives business. Adept at defining business requirements, managing budget and resource oversight. Consistently deliver on-time execution across multiple environments including high-growth and start-ups. Create, manage and develop high-performance teams.
S&J Yachts, Annapolis, MD
Digital Manager / Broker: Nov 2018 – Present
Develop strategy and metrics to define and implement launch of yacht brokerage’s new WordPress-platform website and social-media initiatives. Instituted the use of data analytics to optimize lead generation and target potential customers. Concurrently work as broker, helping sellers and buyers of sail and power boats in the Mid-Atlantic region while refining content strategy with real-time customer feedback.
E.W. Scripps / KGTV – 10News.com, San Diego, CA
Director of New Media: Sep 2013 – Mar 2016
Direct content and revenue strategic plans for the ABC-TV affiliate in San Diego owned by Scripps. Manage team responsible for the 10News.com website, mobile app and social-media initiatives. Site and app generate >10MM views per month. Average page views increased by 36%, total page views 55% and video starts 799% during my tenure.
- Managed five-person team in the creation, curation and publication of content to maximize revenue derived from digital traffic. Integrated content generated by a variety of sources, including the broadcast news team, wire services and Scripps digital national team
- Work with digital sales manager to seek additional incremental revenue opportunities
- Utilize data-analytics tools (including Google Analytics, Omniture, comScore and others) to inform tactical and strategic decision-making
- Produced a weekly, in-season digital-only show covering the San Diego Chargers. Coordinated resources from engineering, news and marketing departments to create the program; worked with sales to find potential sponsors. The pilot initiative, Bolts Brown Bag, grew through the first season and year over year
- Directed Spanish-language Azteca site, app and social-media initiative
Online Venture in the Boating Industry, Newburyport, MA & Annapolis, MD
Publisher/Editor: Jan 2012 – Jan 2013
Incorporated remote freelance work while caring for my elderly parents. Developed strategy for content and online-commerce for an online stealth-mode startup backed by a consortium of companies serving the marine industry.
The Active Network (www.active.com), San Diego, CA
Director of Content Programming: Feb 2007 – Apr 2010
Managed in-house and remote content teams for the largest network of participatory-sports and fitness websites in the world with more than 1B page views annually.
- Created strategy for use of media to generate new revenue streams
- Strategic partner to COO and SVP Media on redesign, relaunch of sites throughout the network to achieve growth objectives
- Directed coverage of high-profile events including the Tour de France, Ironman World Championships and the Little League World Series
- During my tenure media sections drove $672K and sponsorship packages delivered $1.5M in direct revenue from clients that included Gatorade, T-Mobile, Clif, EA Sports, Sears and others
- Enhanced email newsletter program that generated direct incremental revenue and drove 20% of content traffic per month
- Fine tuned content team’s involvement with nascent social-media program whose Facebook and Twitter placements drove an incremental 5.7% of site traffic in 2009
Alaska magazine, Anchorage, AK
Senior Editor: May 2004 – Feb 2007
Directed the editorial process for the 185,000-circulation magazine published 10 times annually. Developed editorial calendar, including generation of new features and assignment to contributors.
- Assessed, selected and managed contributors partnering with art director to ensure content achieved magazine’s vision for editorial features
- Created innovative template for future editorial calendars improving the process while developing publication of new staff-generated departments
- Launched refresh and redesign of the magazine’s website
- Researched, wrote and photographed features; created cover lines, headlines, teasers, captions and portfolio essays
Ticketmaster-Citysearch, Salt Lake City; Austin; Pasadena, CA
Editor-in-chief; Reg’l Content Mgr; Director: Jan 1997 – Mar 2002
Helped build out, launch and grow Citysearch.com, one of the first major online media companies. Managed content and partnered with sales teams to generate incremental revenue.
- Managed content relationship with Microsoft’s MSN.com network that increased traffic referrals by 121%
- Directed editorial strategy for network in 27 large metropolitan cities across the U.S.
- Managed content teams in six cities across all four U.S. time zones
- Managed an editorial staff of five in the daily creation and presentation of content
OTHER CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
- Award-winning reporter/photographer with newspapers in Utah, Montana
- Supervised organization and operation of World Cup ski races in Park City, Utah
- Professional hockey player in Germany, Finland following college graduation
- Freelance writer, editor
Dartmouth College (Hanover, NH), B.A. English
St. Paul’s School (Concord, NH)
ACTIVITIES AND INTERESTS
- 2011: Lone crewman aboard 72-foot charter sailboat in the U.K., Norway, Iceland and Greenland
- Volunteer, Iditarod 2005 and 2006
- Volunteer, Anchorage Amateur Radio Emergency Services
- FCC-licensed extra-class amateur radio operator
- Youth hockey coach
- Private pilot with instrument rating
- ASA- and RYA-certified sailor
- PADI-certified scuba diver