Content executive with 20+ years of proven digital and print editorial experience leading and managing teams, projects and partner relationships to exceed revenue and readership goals. Extensive experience defining project/division requirements, budget and resource oversight, and on-time execution, especially in high-growth, start-up environments.
E.W. Scripps / KGTV – 10News.com San Diego, CA
Director of New Media Sep 2013 – Mar 2016
Directed content and revenue strategic plans for the ABC-TV affiliate in San Diego owned by Scripps. Managed team responsible for the 10News.com website, mobile app and social-media initiatives. Site and app generated >10MM views per month. Report to Sr. Director, Scripps Digital.
- Managed five-person team in the creation, curation and publication of content to maximize revenue derived from digital traffic. Content generated by a variety of sources, including the broadcast news team, wire services and Scripps digital national team
- Worked with digital sales manager to seek additional incremental revenue opportunities
- Utilized data-analytics tools (including Google Analytics, Omniture, comScore and others) to inform tactical and strategic decision-making
- Produced a weekly, in-season digital-only show covering the San Diego Chargers. Coordinated resources from engineering, news and marketing departments to create the program; worked with sales to find potential sponsors. A successful experiment, Bolts Brown Bag traffic grew through the first season and year over year
- Directed Spanish-language Azteca site, app and social-media initiative
- Grew monthly average page views 36% over 2013
- Total page views up 55% over Sept. 2013
- Video starts up 799% from May 2014 to Jan. 2015
Online Venture in the Boating Industry Newburyport, MA
Publisher/Editor 2012 – 2013
Freelance work from home while caring for my elderly parents. Developed strategy for content and online-commerce for an online stealth-mode startup backed by a consortium of companies serving the marine industry.
The Active Network (www.active.com) San Diego, CA
Director of Content Programming Feb 2007 – Apr 2010
Managed in-house and remote content teams for the largest network of participatory-sports and fitness websites in the world with more than 1B page views annually. Reported to VP Media and Marketing.
- Recruited to create strategy for use of media to generate new revenue streams
- Teamed with COO and SVP Media on redesign, relaunch of sites throughout the network
- Established programming calendar and coordinated with sales team to maximize revenue from run-of-site content and special features
- Directed coverage of high-profile events including the Tour de France, Ironman World Championships and the Little League World Series
- In 2009, media sections delivered $672K and sponsorship packages delivered $1.5M in direct revenue from clients that included Gatorade, T-Mobile, Clif, EA Sports, Sears and others
- Directed email newsletter program that generated direct incremental revenue and drove 20% of content traffic per month
- Directed content team’s involvement with nascent social-media program whose Facebook and Twitter placements drove an incremental 5.7% of site traffic in 2009
Alaska magazine Anchorage, AK
Senior Editor May 2004 – Feb 2007
Directed the editorial process for the 185,000-circulation magazine published 10 times annually. Reported to Editor.
- Developed editorial calendar, including generation of new features and assignment to contributors
- Selected and managed contributors and worked with art director to ensure content achieved magazine’s vision for editorial features
- Developed and led several projects, including the innovation of a template for future editorial calendars, the publication of new staff-generated departments, and a redesign of the magazine’s website
- Researched, wrote and photographed features; created cover lines, headlines, teasers, captions and portfolio essays
- Director, MSN Content Relations (Pasadena, CA) Jul 2000 – Mar 2002
Responsible for Citysearch.com’s content relationship with Microsoft MSN.com network that increased MSN traffic referrals to Citysearch city guides by 121%. Reported to VP Content.
- Southwest Regional Content Manager (Austin, TX) Mar 1999 – Jul 2000
Directed editorial strategy for city-guide websites in Austin, Houston, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Phoenix and San Antonio. Reported to VP Content with dotted-line reporting to Regional GM.
- Editor-in-Chief (Salt Lake City, UT) Jan 1997 – Mar 1999
Managed an editorial staff of five in the daily creation and presentation of content for utah.citysearch.com. Reported to VP Content with dotted-line reporting to GM.
The Hungry Horse News Columbia Falls, MT
Sports and Education Editor May 1996 – Nov 1996
Pulitzer Prize-winning weekly with an international circulation of 5,000.
The Park Record Park City, UT
Sports Editor Apr 1993 – Mar 1996
Weekly newspaper with circulation of 8,000. Recipient of several Utah Press Association awards.
Supervisor, Race Department, Park City Mountain Resort 1991-1993
Professional Hockey Player in Finland, Germany 1988-1990
Dartmouth College (Hanover, NH), B.A. English
St. Paul’s School (Concord, NH)
ACTIVITIES AND INTERESTS
Youth hockey coach. Volunteer, Iditarod 2005 and 2006. Volunteer, Anchorage Amateur Radio Emergency Services. FCC-licensed extra-class amateur radio operator. Private pilot with instrument rating. ASA- and RYA-certified sailor. PADI-certified scuba diver.